In this section we invite you to visit virtually the Las Manforas sphalerite mine, closed in 1989 and currently situated within the limits of the Picos de Europa National park. The following photos and videos were made by Egor Gavrilenko in August 2013. Click on the images below to enter the galleries:
See also videos of this trip on Youtube:
- Fuente De cable car, general view from the base station
- The cabin starting to rise up
- Video from inside the rising cabin
- Landscape view from the upper point of the cable way
- On the way to the mine, starting the "Puertos de Aliva" trakking route
- On the route to the mine, near to Peña Vieja mountain and looking to the hotel "Refugio de Aliva"
- First look to the Las Manforas mine
- Looking to the mine from the area covered by white triturated waste rock
- Starting the way back to the cable car, last view to the Las Manforas mine
- On the way home, panoramic view with the "Chalet Real"
- On the way home, the wheather is changing, clouds are coming from the North!
- Taking the cable car to do down, bye-bye to the Picos de Europa National Park!
Video - Panoramic view from the mine's entrance:
Finally, here are some pictures of our Spanish gem sphalerites faceted from stones that came from this mine. To see more stones, please visit this section of our site - Faceted sphalerites.